Do you remember the joy of coloring as a child? The feel of the crayon or pencil between your fingers, the excitement of creating something beautiful? Well, as it turns out, coloring isn’t just for kids anymore. Let’s look at the benefits of coloring for adults.
Studies have shown that coloring can be an incredibly powerful tool for relaxation and stress relief. Because it engages multiple parts of the brain, it is a powerful mindfulness practice.
- enhances creativity
- allows us to focus on the present
- helps calm the brain
- releases dopamine
- engages the visual, motor, and sensory systems
- helps to manage stress and anxiety
- can improve sleep
- is easy, inexpensive, and accessible to all
Read all about recreational self-care for women over 50
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting my blog. See my disclosure page for details..
The Benefits of Coloring According to Science
Research shows that coloring can have significant psychological benefits, including reducing anxiety and promoting relaxation. The repetitive motion of coloring can help to calm the brain and shut off our internal dialogue.
We can then focus on the present moment.
In addition, coloring triggers the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with feelings of pleasure and reward, which helps to reduce stress levels further.
Coloring engages multiple parts of the brain, including the visual, motor, and sensory systems, making it a powerful mindfulness practice. When we color, we are fully absorbed in the activity, which can help to shift our attention away from negative thoughts and worries.
Coloring can be particularly helpful for people with conditions such as depression and anxiety, where the mind can become trapped in negative patterns of thinking.
By incorporating coloring into your relaxation routine, you may find that you are better able to:
Whether you’re looking for a new hobby to pass the time or a way to unwind after a long day, coloring is an effective tool for promoting relaxation and well-being.
How to get started with coloring
To start coloring, all you need are a few basic supplies.
- First, choose your coloring medium – whether it’s colored pencils, markers, crayons, or gel pens.
- Then, select a coloring book or printable sheet that appeals to you. You can find coloring books in a variety of themes, from animals and nature scenes to mandalas and geometric patterns.
- Once you have your supplies, find a quiet and comfortable place to settle in and start coloring.
Start with simpler designs and gradually work up to more complex ones. Some adult coloring pages are incredibly detailed and may take many hours to complete!
You may want to experiment with different color palettes and shading techniques to create depth and dimension.
Different tools will create different results, too – experiment with pencils, watercolor pencils, and markers in addition to crayons.
Don’t worry about making mistakes – the beauty of coloring is that there are no rules or expectations.
Focus on enjoying the process and letting your creativity flow.
You do not have to stay within the lines!
Tips for creating the perfect coloring routine
To make the most of your coloring experience and reap all the benefits it has to offer, it’s good to establish a regular routine.
Here are some tips to create the perfect coloring routine:
- Set aside dedicated time: Carve out a specific time each day or week that you devote solely to coloring. This will help you establish a routine and make coloring a regular part of your self-care practice.
- Choose a comfortable space: Make sure you’re comfortable while coloring. Create a peaceful, relaxing environment with comfortable seating, good lighting, and minimal distractions.
- Pick the right coloring tools: Invest in high-quality coloring tools such as markers, pencils, or gel pens that you enjoy using. Experiment with different brands and types to find what works best for you.
- Play music or listen to an audiobook: Coloring can be a meditative experience. Playing music or listening to an audiobook can enhance its calming effects. Choose something soothing and low-key to help you relax.
- Try different themes: Mix up your coloring routine with different themes or styles. Whether it’s intricate mandalas, floral designs, or whimsical illustrations, exploring new themes can be both fun and therapeutic.
By incorporating these tips into your coloring routine, you’ll be able to create a relaxing and enjoyable experience that will provide all of the benefits of coloring for adults.
Take the time to embrace this creative activity and let your stress fade away.
- How to Tap Into Creativity When You’re Feeling Uninspired
- Keep Your Brain Sharp: Enjoyable Activities to Do When You’re Home Alone
Final Thoughts On The Benefits of Coloring For Adults
Coloring is a simple yet effective way to reduce stress and promote relaxation.
As you grab your colored pencils and coloring book, remember the beauty that can be found in simply taking a step back from the stresses of daily life.
Why not give it a try and see where your creativity takes you?
LIKE THIS ARTICLE? SHARE IT ON PINTEREST!
Lori is a happily 50+ woman striving to live her best life through self-awareness and self-care. She writes from experience, inspired by her own journey toward confidence, self-love, and positivity.
Holding degrees in Psychology, Education, and Nonprofit Management, Lori’s varied career has covered education administration, counseling, teaching, conference planning, and full-time motherhood. What do these roles all have in common? Caring for other people.
Today, Lori cares for others by promoting the benefits of self-care for mature women. She stands firm in her belief that through self-care, all women over 50 can feel confident, capable, and happy.