Podcasts have been incredibly popular for several years now. Until recently I avoided them but what a mistake! I’ve learned my lesson – now I love to listen! Here are all the details about what a podcast is and how they work, as well as 10 happiness podcasts to inspire positivity in your life.
A podcast is, in its simplest terms, a series of audio recordings that you can listen to. Pretty simple, right?
Each individual audio recording is known as a podcast episode.
Podcasts are typically hosted by an individual or individuals who lead a conversation, share stories, or report the news.
You can subscribe to a podcast with an app on your phone and listen to episodes whenever you like on your headphones, in the car, or through speakers.
Read about Emotional Self-Care for Women Over 50
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting my blog. See my disclosure page for details..
What is a podcast and how does it work?
A podcast is a digital audio file that is available on the internet for download or streaming.
It is a series of spoken word episodes, usually focused on a particular topic or theme, like news, sports, entertainment, or education.
Podcasts can be played on a variety of devices, including smartphones, tablets, computers, and smart speakers.
To listen to a podcast, you need to find a podcast app or platform that suits your needs. Once you have downloaded or subscribed to a podcast, you can listen to it on demand, whenever you want. Most podcast apps allow you to download episodes, so you can listen to them offline or in areas with poor internet connectivity.
Podcasts are typically produced by individuals or small teams, and they can cover a wide range of topics.
The beauty of podcasts is that they offer a flexible and convenient way to consume audio content, and you can listen to them while doing other things like driving, exercising, or cooking.
Are podcasts free to listen to?
There are many podcasts that are completely free to listen to, and you can find them on various platforms like Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts.
However, some podcasters may offer additional content or exclusive episodes to their paid subscribers or supporters.
In addition, some podcast hosting platforms may charge a fee for hosting and distributing a podcast, but there are also free hosting options available.
Overall, most podcasts are free to listen to, and you can enjoy them without spending any money.
where can I find podcasts I’m Interested In?
You can find podcasts on various platforms such as:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
You can also find podcasts by searching for them on search engines like Google or Bing.
Many podcasters also have their own websites where they host their episodes.
Additionally, some podcasts are also available on YouTube.
How do I listen to a podcast?
To listen to a podcast, you need to follow these steps:
- Choose a podcast app: There are many podcast apps available, such as those listed above. Choose one that suits your needs and preferences.
- Search for a podcast: Use the search function in the app to find a podcast you want to listen to. You can search for a specific podcast or browse by topic or category.
- Subscribe to the podcast: Once you find a podcast you like, subscribe to it. This will ensure that new episodes are automatically downloaded to your app when they are released.
- Download or stream the episode: You can either download the episode to your device or stream it directly from the app. Downloading the episode allows you to listen to it offline, while streaming requires an internet connection.
- Listen to the episode: Once you have downloaded or streamed the episode, press play to start listening. You can pause, rewind, or fast forward as needed.
- Rate and review the podcast: If you enjoyed the episode, consider leaving a rating or review for the podcast. This helps other listeners discover the podcast and provides feedback to the podcast creator.
Overall, listening to a podcast is easy and convenient, and you can enjoy it on the go or while doing other activities.
Ready to listen to a podcast? Grab your earpods!
how long is a Typical podcast episode?
The length of a podcast episode can vary greatly depending on the show and the format.
Some podcasts are designed to be short and sweet, with episodes that are only a few minutes long. Others are longer, with episodes that can range from 30 minutes to several hours.
On average, most podcast episodes are around 30-60 minutes in length. However, there are many podcasts that have episodes that are shorter or longer than this.
Some podcasts release episodes daily or weekly, while others may only release new episodes once a month or less frequently.
Ultimately, the length and frequency of podcast episodes will depend on the preferences of the creators and the needs of their audience.
Top 10 Happiness Podcasts for 2023
Here are some podcasts about happiness that are sure to brighten your mood:
- The Happiness Lab with Dr. Laurie Santos: This podcast is hosted by a Yale professor who teaches a course on the science of happiness. In each episode, she explores the latest research on happiness and provides practical tips for leading a happier life.
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin: Gretchen Rubin is a bestselling author who explores the science of happiness and habits. In each episode, she shares tips and strategies for cultivating happiness and leading a more fulfilling life.
- 10% Happier with Dan Harris: Dan Harris is a journalist and author who explores the intersection of mindfulness and happiness. In each episode, he interviews experts in the field and shares his own experiences with meditation and mindfulness.
- The Science of Happiness: This podcast is produced by the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley. In each episode, they explore the latest research on happiness and provide practical tips for leading a happier life.
- The Positivity Podcast with Paul McKenna: Paul McKenna is a bestselling author and hypnotist who explores the power of positivity. In each episode, he interviews experts in the field and shares practical tips for cultivating a positive mindset.
- Best Friends with Nicole Byer and Sasheer Zamata: What happens when two best friends – who are both comedians – get together for a podcast? It’s like a late-night chat with your pals covering topics from alien abductions to gigantic ladybugs.
- The Lively Show with Bella Lively: This informative, motivational podcast focuses on the importance of a positive mindset for both personal and professional success.
- Live Happy Now: The creators of Live Happy magazine host informative interviews with experts on topics like mindful eating, stress management, and the dangers of toxic positivity.
- The Daily Boost: Hosted by Scott Smith, this show combines lessons, personal experience, and humor to create a new type of motivation podcast that can fit into listeners’ lives.
- Earn Your Happy with Lori Harder: Lori Harder provides the inside tips and tools that you need to break through your fears, connect your mind and body, and get focused so you can improve your life, relationships, and career.
- Top 20 Podcasts for a Positive Mindset
- How to Be Happy: 10 Secrets to Living Life on the Sunny Side
- 30 Positive Affirmations for A Happy Life
- The Power of Hugging: Why We Need Hugs
- 25 Best Books About Happiness and Why You Should Read Them
LIKE THIS ARTICLE? SHARE IT ON PINTEREST!
Lori is a happily 50+ woman striving to live her best life through self-awareness and self-care. She writes from experience, inspired by her own journey toward confidence, self-love, and positivity.
Holding degrees in Psychology, Education, and Nonprofit Management, Lori’s varied career has covered education administration, counseling, teaching, conference planning, and full-time motherhood. What do these roles all have in common? Caring for other people.
Today, Lori cares for others by promoting the benefits of self-care for mature women. She stands firm in her belief that through self-care, all women over 50 can feel confident, capable, and happy.