There are affiliate links in this post. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my Disclosure Policy for details.
Are you familiar with the Vogue 73 Question Challenge? It originated, of course, with Vogue magazine. Various celebrities would be invited to answer 73 questions about themselves, saying whatever came to mind immediately. Lately, bloggers have been taking on the challenge as well, and using it as an opportunity to share more of who they are with their readers.
In that spirit, I decided to take on the Vogue 73 Question Challenge, too! I chose a random list of questions off the internet and answered them quickly and briefly. Please read along – I wonder what we have in common!
1.What’s the best thing that happened to you this month? Energy! May and June were wonderful and I did a lot of traveling, but afterward, I felt drained and listless. In the last few weeks – bam! – my energy is back, I feel great, and I am getting all kinds of things accomplished!
2. What is something you’re tired of? Mean-spirited politics. And I know it’s just getting started. Sigh.
3. What is something that recently moved you? It’s a little thing, but lately, I’ve been getting more active on Twitter, and despite how everyone says it can be an unfriendly form of social media, I have gotten involved in some really positive, supportive groups where everyone supports each other and cheers each other on! Kindness is a big deal to me, and so it means a lot when I find it someplace I don’t expect.
4. If you could teach one subject in school what would it be? Reading
5. What’s your favorite beverage? Call me weird, but I really like plain water. I drink it all day long!
6. What’s your favorite cocktail? French 75 – it’s all about the bubbles
7. What is your favorite birthday cake? I don’t really like cake, so – maybe an ice cream cake? I like ice cream.
8.What is one thing you still have from your childhood? I still have several books. One is a copy of “Charlotte’s Web” that I received from my parents when I turned 6. I gave it to my daughter when she turned 6, and she gave it to my son when he turned 6. Now that we’ve all read it and loved it, it’s mine again. I’m saving it for the grandkids.
9. What is one habit you wish you could break? I procrastinate too much
10. What makes you laugh no matter what? Baby laughter
11. What are your favorite lyrics of all time? “Don’t be afraid. Close your eyes. Lay it all down, don’t you cry. Can’t you see I’m going where I can see the sun rise? I’ve been talking to my angel, and he said that it’s alright.” -Melissa Etheridge, Talking to My Angel. This song got me through some tough times long ago.
12. What is something you’ve always wanted to try but you’ve been too scared to do? Travel by myself in a foreign country
13. If you could raid one woman’s closet who would it be? Reese Witherspoon
14. What did you want to do with your life at age 12? I wanted to be a novelist
15. What is an important life lesson for someone to learn? The death of a loved one is probably the hardest experience to go through – and one we will all experience multiple times in our lives.
16. What is one goal you are determined to achieve in your lifetime? I want to visit all 50 states – I’ve got 6 to go!
17. Would you ever live anywhere besides Southern California? Yes, I’ve moved almost 30 times in my life, all over the US. After about two years in a place, I get the itch to go somewhere new. Right now I love California, but I could see myself leaving here at some point.
18. What is your favorite dessert? Good Italian gelato or a well-made Crème Brulee
19. It’s brunch! What do you eat? Huevos rancheros and a spicy bloody mary, or eggs benedict and mimosas
20. Who is your favorite painter? Claude Monet
21. What did you read most recently? I just finished – and was really inspired by – Jen Sincero’s “You Are A Badass”
22. Favorite solo artist? I’m really enjoying the ease of Jack Johnson these days.
23. What’s your Favorite board game? Settlers of Catan. My daughter and I traditionally play it on Christmas day. We have our own set of rules. She ALWAYS wins, but it’s a fun challenge and I look forward to it every year.
24. What’s a city you wish to visit? I’ve never been to Key West, and I really wanna go!
25. Heels or flats? I love the look of heels but wear flats, and I prefer sandals! (True confession: I mostly go barefoot)
26. Where does one go on a perfect road trip? Idaho, Montana, North and South Dakota, and Minnesota (5 of the six states I need to visit to make all 50. Alaska is the final state.)
27. What do you do on a rainy day? Ideally, curl up in a comfy chair with a cup of tea and soft jazz music in the background, and lose myself in a good book.
28. What’s your favorite exercise? Yoga – especially if I can do it outside
29. What was your worst subject in school? Math I just had a terrible mental block about it.
30. What is your spirit animal? Every time I see a hawk, I feel like it’s good luck, so I guess maybe that makes the hawk my spirit animal.
31. What do you usually eat for breakfast? Now that I have my NutriBullet, every morning it’s a smoothie with mixed greens, berries, protein powder, collagen, and beet powder. My day doesn’t feel right if I don’t start with my smoothie!
32. Cooking or Baking? Eating.
33. Skiing or Surfing? Neither, I’m not particularly athletic. I like to watch other people do both, though.
34. What color was your prom dress? Pink! Which is funny, because I have never liked pink!
35. How do you manage stress? Meditation. The Headspace app is a lifesaver.
36. What do you do to relax? Read, garden, walk the dog.
37. Age when you were first kissed? 14
38. Place you were first kissed? My friend Lynn’s family room. She was having a party and he was a friend of her boyfriend.
39. Best fashion advice you’ve ever received? “Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.”
40. Shoes or Bags? Shoes
41. Television show you’ve binged on recently? Game of Thrones – we didn’t start watching it until Season 8 started, so we ended up watching two or three episodes every night to see all of seasons 1-7 before the series finale.
42. Who do you turn to when you’re sad? Myself. I prefer to be alone when I am sad.
43. What is your biggest strength? Intelligence.
44. What is your biggest weakness? Perfectionism.
45. Cutest thing on planet earth? Baby goats in pajamas
46. Favorite type of flower? Cosmos and ranunculus
47. What’s your favorite time of day? When I crawl into bed at night, knowing I’ve had a good day, and looking forward to tomorrow.
48. What do you usually eat for lunch? A big salad with whatever veggies I have on hand
49. What song can you listen to on repeat? Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars. It just makes me happy.
50. Vintage or new? New for most things – but I love old, historic houses
51. Window or aisle seat? Always the window
52. Leather or lace? Can I say denim?
53. What’s your pet peeve? Rude people
54. Diamonds or pearls? Diamonds
55. What’s something you notice about someone when you first meet them? How they treat the people around them.
56. What’s your biggest regret? Not taking a semester abroad when I was in college.
57. What are you currently reading? Book one of Game of Thrones
58. How do you start your day? Morning stretches, and then a cup of coffee while I catch up on email and social media.
59. What’s your favorite holiday? Christmas
60. What’s the one thing you wish you knew at age 19? That making mistakes is just part of the learning process, and it’s okay to make them
61. Besides your phone or wallet, what’s a couple of must-have purse items? Reading glasses, hand lotion
62. What’s something you can’t do? Sing on key
63. Where was the best vacation you’ve ever taken? So many good ones…Jamaica was by far the most relaxing and overall fun.
Learn more about me in the post The Sunshine Blogger Award
64. What’s one country you’ve always dreamed of traveling to? I recently went to Italy, which was number 1. Now, I’d say Greece.
65. Dogs or cats? Definitely dogs, I’ve had four rescues. My current buddy is Ozzie, a Labrador retriever mix.
66. Where do you do your best thinking? In the shower or walking the dog.
67. Beach or mountains? I’m a beach girl, but I have to admit I love the mountains as well.
68. What is your guilty pleasure? Really, really bad horror movies. My son and I are always trying to find the most ridiculous ones.
69. What was the best day of your life? I’ve had two – the days when my two kids were born.
70. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received? Be yourself; no one else will.
71. What’s your favorite fast food order? I’m not a fan of fast food, but once or twice a year a McDonald’s quarter pounder and fries really hits the spot.
72. Which movie makes you laugh the hardest? Monty Python and the Holy Grail
73. What do you usually eat for dinner? There is no usual, we eat all kinds of things. But anything Mexican or Italian will make me happy.
So…what did you think?
And that’s a wrap! Wow – that took some energy to answer all those questions! I hope you enjoyed learning all of these little details and quirks of mine.
Now I would offer this challenge to you – take the Vogue 73 Question Challenge yourself! Feel free to use the same questions as above, or find your own – there are lots of different “Vogue 73 Questions” lists floating around the internet. Pick a list that has some questions that inspire you, and sit down and answer them.
You’ll probably surprise yourself with some of your responses. Then, share them with family or friends and see what they have to say! What a great opportunity to get to know yourself and those you care about a little better.
As always, thanks for taking the time to read my blog! I do appreciate it! If you enjoyed this post, won’t you please pin it to a Pinterest board?