Last Updated on May 25, 2023 by Lori
Life is so complicated! Wasn’t it supposed to get easier when we got older, our children grew up, and we had established careers (or reached retirement)? Why does life for women over 50 seem more demanding than ever?
If you feel your life has become overly busy and demanding, here are 6 practical strategies you can use to simplify life after fifty.
As we get older, does it feel like we have more responsibilities and less time?
Between managing a household, caring for family members, and maintaining a career, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. After all, women today spend an average of 47 minutes more on housework than men – every day.
And that’s just one area of responsibility!
Simplifying our lives can help those of us over 50 reduce stress and improve our overall well-being.
But, do we have to give away all of our worldly possessions and live on a deserted island? Because that seems a little extreme (tempting…but extreme)!
What are some practical ways to simplify our lives?
There are many ways we women over 50 can simplify our lives.
One way is to declutter our homes, getting rid of items we no longer need or use.
Another way is to streamline our daily routines.
Creating a schedule and sticking to it can help us manage our time more efficiently.
Additionally, women over 50 can simplify their lives by focusing on what’s truly important. This may mean saying no to certain commitments or setting boundaries with others.
By prioritizing our time and energy and eliminating insignificant possessions, we can reduce stress and enjoy a more fulfilling life.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting my blog. See my disclosure page for details..
6 Strategies to Simplify Life After Age 50
1. Declutter Your Home
As women age, we often accumulate a lot of possessions that we really don’t need – or use. This can make our homes feel cluttered and overwhelming. Decluttering can be an effective way to simplify and streamline your life.
Here are a few tips to help you declutter your home:
- Start small: Trying to declutter your entire home at once can be overwhelming. Instead, start with one room or even one area of a room.
- Sort items into categories: As you go through your possessions, sort them into categories such as keep, donate, and throw away. This can help you make decisions more quickly and efficiently.
- Be honest with yourself: It can be tempting to hold onto items because of sentimental value or the idea that you might use them someday. However, it’s important to be honest with yourself about whether you truly need or want these items in your life.
- Consider the KonMari method: Popularized by Marie Kondo, the KonMari method involves keeping only items that “spark joy” in your life. This can be a helpful way to determine which possessions are truly important to you.
Decluttering your home can be a challenging process, but it can also be incredibly rewarding.
By simplifying your living space, you can create a more peaceful and organized home that reflects your current needs and priorities.
2. Streamline Your Wardrobe
As women age, their fashion preferences and clothing needs may change. Maybe we need a different wardrobe for retirement – or we’ve moved to a warmer part of the country. Sometimes, we just don’t feel as good in the styles or colors we used to like. We just need a change!
It’s important to streamline your wardrobe to make getting dressed each day easier and less stressful.
Here are a few tips that can help simplify your wardrobe:
- Invest in quality basics that can be mixed and matched.
- Donate or sell clothing that hasn’t been worn in the past year.
- Stick to a color scheme to make it easier to coordinate outfits.
- Choose clothing that is comfortable and easy to care for.
Consider investing in a few versatile pieces that can be dressed up or down, such as a classic blazer or a pair of black pants. This will make it easier to create a variety of outfits without having to own a large number of clothing items.
Finally, don’t be afraid to ask for help. A personal stylist or a trusted friend can help you evaluate your wardrobe and identify areas where you can simplify and streamline.
3. Simplify Your Beauty Routine
As we get older, our beauty routines may become more complex and time-consuming. However, it doesn’t have to be this way.
Here are a few tips to simplify your beauty routine:
- Choose multi-purpose products: Instead of using separate products for moisturizing, sun protection, and foundation, consider using a tinted moisturizer with SPF. This will save you time and money.
- Focus on skincare: Good skin is the foundation of a great beauty routine. Instead of relying on makeup to cover up flaws, focus on taking care of your skin. Use a gentle cleanser, moisturize daily, and use a weekly face mask to keep your skin looking its best.
- Streamline your makeup routine: Stick to the basics when it comes to makeup. A little bit of mascara, blush, and lip gloss can go a long way. If you choose to use foundation, consider using a tinted moisturizer instead.
- Invest in quality products: Instead of buying a lot of cheap products, invest in a few high-quality multi-purpose ones that work well for you. This will save you time and money in the long run.
By simplifying your beauty routine, you can save time and money, and reduce stress.
4. Reduce Your Digital Clutter
Oh, the digital clutter! This really hits home for me, even just in terms of all of the photos stored on my phone!! Digital clutter can include old emails, unused apps, and outdated contacts.
Here are a few ways to reduce your digital clutter:
- Delete old emails: Go through your inbox and delete any emails that are no longer relevant. You can also create folders to organize important emails.
- Unsubscribe from email lists: If you find yourself constantly deleting emails from certain senders, unsubscribe from their email list to reduce the clutter in your inbox.
- Remove unused apps: Delete any apps on your phone or tablet that you no longer use. This will free up space and make your device run faster.
- Organize your contacts: Delete any contacts that are no longer relevant and organize the remaining contacts into groups, such as family, friends, and work contacts.
- Back up important files: Make sure to back up important files, such as photos and documents, to an external hard drive or cloud storage service. This will help prevent digital clutter and ensure that your important files are safe.
By reducing your digital clutter, you can simplify your life and make it easier to find the information you need.
5. Simplify Your Finances
Have you planned for your financial future? This is the time to understand your finance situation to ensure a comfortable and stress-free retirement.
Here are a few tips to help you simplify your finances:
- Consolidate accounts: If you have multiple bank accounts or credit cards, consider consolidating them to simplify your finances. This will make it easier to keep track of your money and reduce the amount of paperwork you need to deal with.
- Automate payments: Setting up automatic payments for bills and other expenses can help you avoid late fees and simplify your budgeting process. This can also help you avoid the stress of having to remember to pay bills on time.
- Reduce debt: Paying off debt can help simplify your finances and reduce the amount of money you need to budget for each month. Consider paying off high-interest debt first and then focus on paying off other debts.
Another way to simplify your finances is to create a budget and stick to it. This will help you avoid overspending and ensure that you have enough money to cover your expenses each month. You can also use budgeting tools and apps to help you track your spending and stay on top of your finances.
Finally, it is important to plan for retirement and make sure that you have enough savings to support your lifestyle. Consider meeting with a financial advisor to help you create a retirement plan and make sure that you are on track to meet your financial goals.
6. Prioritize Your Time
As women age, we juggle so many responsibilities, from caring for aging parents to managing our own households. Prioritizing your time is key to simplifying your life and reducing stress.
Here are some tips to help you prioritize your time:
- Make a to-do list: Write down everything that needs to be done, and prioritize tasks based on urgency and importance.
- Say no: It’s okay to decline invitations or requests that don’t align with your priorities. Don’t feel guilty for setting boundaries.
- Delegate: If possible, delegate tasks to others. This could mean hiring a housekeeper or asking a family member for help.
- Eliminate time-wasters: Identify activities that don’t add value to your life and eliminate them. This could mean cutting back on social media or TV time.
Prioritizing your time will help you create space for the things that matter most to you.
- 5 Simple Steps to Simple Living
- 36 Simple Living Quotes For a Happy Life
- 5 Ways Simple Living Can Make You Happier
- Create Daily Routines in Order to Achieve Future Dreams
- 4 Signs It’s Time to Change Your Daily Routine
- Smart Ways to Simplify Housework
Final Thoughts on 6 Practical Ways to Simplify Your Life After Age 50
To make these 6 strategies effective, focus on one at a time. Otherwise, your efforts may overwhelm you, and actually, make life more complicated. We don’t want that!
Where will you begin to simplify your life?
- Declutter Your Home
- Streamline Your Wardrobe
- Simplify Your Beauty Routine
- Reduce Your Digital Clutter
- Simplify Your Finances
- Prioritize Your Time
LIKE THIS ARTICLE? SHARE IT ON PINTEREST