The Sunshine Blogger Award
Last week, I was honored to receive a nomination for the Sunshine Blogger Award, a recognition for bloggers from their peers for being “creative, positive and inspiring while spreading sunshine to the blogging community”.
In the short six months since I joined the blogging world, I have been blessed to meet many fellow bloggers who I find to be incredibly creative, positive, and inspiring, so I was honored to be recognized.
My nomination came from Suzan of It’sMySustainableLife. Suzan’s blog resonates with peace, authenticity, and mindfulness. She guides the reader toward simple, sustainable approaches to gardening, food preparation, herbal remedies, and so much more, while eloquently sharing her stories of life in the New England countryside. Suzan, thank you so much for this nomination.
I was overwhelmed yesterday to receive a second nomination! This came from the joyful and enthusiastic April of RodesOntheRoad. April is a budget travel blogger focusing on locations in the US, Mexico, and Asia. Notably, she also blogs about traveling with her children and teaching them values along the way. April, thank you for nominating me.
THE SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD
What exactly is the Sunshine Blogger Award? It is an acknowledgment award extended from one blogger to fellow bloggers. As I mentioned above, it specifically honors those bloggers who are “creative, positive and inspiring while spreading sunshine to the blogging community”.
How It Works
There are a few rules that come along with this nomination in order to continue spreading those lovely rays. They are as follows:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link back to their website.
- List the Sunshine Blogger Award Rules and display the logo (there are many versions!) available.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you for the award.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and ask them 11 new questions.
- Notify the nominees of their nomination.
Because I was nominated twice within two weeks, I have elected to pick and choose between both Suzan and April’s questions, so that I am still answering a total of eleven.
Questions from My Nominators
- What inspired you to begin blogging? Since I was a young child, I have always loved the written word and found writing to be the easiest, clearest way for me to express myself. I also love to share my knowledge of home décor, organization, and practical ideas, and blogging seemed a natural way to combine my skills and abilities.
- If you could go back to your launch date, what is one thing you would do differently? That’s a tough question because there was SO MUCH I didn’t know! (Ok, there is still so much I don’t know!) I think I should have taken some time to learn more about the technical side of blogging before I launched my site, instead of jumping right in immediately!
- In another life, what would you be if you weren’t blogging? Aside from blogging, my favorite job was working as Director of Operations at a charter school. For me, it was a perfect balance of the challenge of administrative work and the joy of being with children all day. It was very satisfying.
- What is your favorite season and why? I am a total summer girl. There is nothing like being outside on a bright, sunny day with a breeze gently blowing…preferably with my toes in the sand or ocean!! I am at my most joyful and relaxed when I am warm and barefoot.
- List 5 of your favorite foods. Just 5? Blueberries. Chocolate ice cream (no lumps, mix-ins, or sprinkles). Spaghetti with my homemade meat sauce. Shrimp enchiladas with extra queso. Lobster roll (lobster anything, actually).
- What inspires you to travel, and why? My father was in the military, so growing up, we didn’t go on vacation – we just moved all the time! My husband has also had a career that involved a lot of relocating. With all of that moving around, I’ve learned to love getting to know new places and faces, and I particularly love just getting “lost” in a new town and seeing it the way the residents do. In the last few years, I’ve been to Italy, France, Dubai, Jamaica, and many spots in the US.
- Blogging is not an easy task. What are some difficulties you’ve encountered, and what did you do? I was completely overwhelmed with the technical side of blogging, and it’s taken me a long time to get comfortable with it. I dealt with it by finding some trusted mentors, and supportive blogging friends, to guide me through the rough patches.
- Who do you look up to? Many people, both from my personal life and public figures. The one who stands out above all others was my maternal grandmother. She was such a loving, kind, passionate person and I miss her daily.
- Name one sustainable lifestyle you practice daily. I have a plot in a community garden where I grow organic vegetables. Besides the individually maintained plots, there is a communal herb garden, orchard, beehives, chickens, and a children’s learning garden. We all get together for “work parties” to maintain the shared space. It’s an inspiring community.
- What is a hobby you wish you had more time for? As a child, I loved art. I would draw and paint all day long. I haven’t done either in years, but I would love to take a watercolor class and get back into expressing myself through art.
- In what way can you spread positivity to your community and the world we live in? I think just remembering and acting on your values is so important. You never know what someone else is going through, so try not to take negativity personally. It probably isn’t about you. Say a kind word whenever you can. Really see people, listen to them, tell them you care. In the words of Henry James, “Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind, the second is to be kind, and the third is to be kind.”
My Nominees for The Sunshine Blogger Award
Morgan named her blog Barbed Wire & Lace because she’s got that sweet southern charm – and a sharp tongue! She describes herself as “all over the map” when it comes to blogging topics, but her posts on The Law of Attraction and Meyers-Briggs personality types are particularly good reads.
At MyPerpetualProject, Jeanne’s posts tell the story of her many home improvement projects, and draw the reader in with titles like “Let’s Landscape the Front Yard!” and “Let’s Paint the Shed!” She provides great pictures and explanations, so you learn how to do each project as you watch her complete her work.
Not only does Amy have a fantastic blog, Your Favorite Chapter, she also hosts two very active Facebook groups designed to encourage and empower women. Her positivity shines through when she states “I truly believe that no matter where you are in the story of your life, you can make this chapter “Your Favorite Chapter”. Let’s make life awesome together!”
Jen’s sweet and engaging blog, Modest House Extraordinary Home, focuses on life with her husband and two little girls and includes posts on family adventures, décor, recipes, and more.
Another Jennifer, also a mom of two, writes the honest and funny blog Goldfish and Chicken Nuggets. Her tagline says it all “Keeping it real. Not necessarily keeping it together.”
Kayla sees herself and others clearly as they are, and uses lessons in faith to nurture everyone toward recovery and health in a sensitive and supportive way. Her posts can be found on the blog Kay Bits.
Melanie Stanton has a youthful, spirited lifestyle blog that is as sunny as her home in south Florida. Melanie’s favorite topics are travel and fashion.
Steph keeps things real in her blog Lifestyle of a Non-Trophy Wife. You’ll find plenty of great recipes, gardening advice, and tales of family adventures here.
Gayatri’s focus is on human connection in her blog Gorgeous Gaurigs. She focuses on topics of identity, stress, and communication, and uses her psychology background to dig deep into these topics.
On the blog Red Brick Love, Katie enthusiastically shares her experiences with her ongoing renovation of her circa 1856 Wisconsin home, along with posts about family adventures, motherhood, and recipes.
Mama E Plus Three is a bit of a misnomer…yes, Katie is mama to three adorable little kids, but there’s also Mr. E…and a dog…and a cat…You can’t help but connect with this joyful group when reading about playrooms, arts and crafts, and family adventures.
11 Questions For My Nominees
- How did you decide on your blog name?
- What was the topic of your very first blog post?
- What countries have you traveled to and which was your favorite?
- If a movie were made of your life, who would be your dream actor to play you?
- Do you prefer dogs or cats?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Do you do any writing other than your blog?
- Are you involved in any volunteer activities?
- What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
- Who inspires you to be a better person?
- If you could choose anyone, alive, dead, or fictitious, who would you like to have dinner with?
I’d like to thank both Suzan and April one more time for the nomination, and also for their friendship and support as we travel this blogging road together. Connecting with other bloggers is such a source of inspiration and creativity that we can all benefit from.
Let’s let kindness rule the day.